The Apache Pow Wow

Kinky Boots is Coming to an End

Anya Yang, Staff Writer

After 2,507 performances and 34 previews, the 2013 Tony winner for Best Musical will be coming to an end on Apr. 7, 2019. Kinky Boots will be the 25th longest-running production in Broadway history once it stages its final performance at the Al Hirschfeld Theater.

Based on the 2006 movie, the flamboyant story of Charlie Price’s interesting shoe business has been an iconic Broadway hit since 2013. In the production, Charlie inherits a shoe factory after his father passes away. However, he strongly dislikes the shoe business and is quickly losing money. After laying off several workers, an unforeseen—but worthwhile—encounter with a drag queen inspires Charlie to save the factory from closure by producing erotic footwear. Kinky Boots features a Tony-winning score by Cyndi Lauper based on the origin story by Tony winner Harvey Fierstein.

The set was made to look just like a shoe factory. David Rockwell’s set design was used by director Jerry Mitchell to incorporate machinery, conveyor belts, and all the mechanical trimmings of a working shoe factory. Gregg Barnes’, the costume designer for the show, created sparkling, sassy outfits that truly embodied the brilliant glitz and glamour of a drag queen. According to a WhatsonStage production critic, “the message is heartwarming: underneath our defensive exteriors, we all have the same insecurities and foibles, so be nice to one another. And the staging certainly encourages clap-along, foot-stomping engagement with the eager audiences, who consistently reward the show with standing ovations.”

In 2013, Kinky Boots received six Tony Awards including original score, best actor in a musical, best musical, sound design of a musical, orchestrations, and choreography. Since then, the production grossed about $1 million a week in its early years. When popular guest stars like Brendon Urie and Wayne Brady appeared, revenue spiked back to the amazing 2013 heights. Altogether, Kinky Boots has grossed about $297 million on Broadway alone. The colorful production has also played in Germany, Korea, Japan, England, Canada, and Australia. Next spring, the show is set to return to Asia.

“When we first set out to make this show, we never could have imagined the success it would have here on Broadway and around the world,” Fierstein and Lauper said in a statement. “We speak on behalf of the entire company when we say how grateful we are to the fans who have embraced our work across four continents and counting!”

Last June, Lauper announced that she was working on her Broadway follow-up to Kinky Boots, a musical adaptation of the 1988 romantic comedy, Working Girl.

Photo courtesy of KINKYBOOTSTHEMUSICAL.COM