The Apache Pow Wow

Thanksgiving Food: Yum or Yuck?

Back to Article
Back to Article

Thanksgiving Food: Yum or Yuck?

Anya Yang, Staff Writer

Thanksgiving Day is a time for people to give thanks for what they have, celebrate with the friends and family they love, and best of all– eat! Thanksgiving’s iconic meal usually consists of turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing, cranberry sauce, pie, and many other fall treats. However, lots of people have varying opinions on the foods that are loved by so many Americans.

Turkey, the star of the meal, is basically synonymous with Thanksgiving. Oftentimes, it’s depicted as golden-brown and coated in a juicy glaze. Freshman Amy Muliadi expressed her love for the classic Thanksgiving bird. “I like turkey,” she said. “It’s one of my favorite parts of the entire Thanksgiving meal. We usually buy a big one and I like to eat it with mashed potatoes, vegetables, or, less traditionally, rice. It may be overrated, but I find it to be pretty delicious.” However, Amy also said that, “I don’t prefer it over ham, though. We get both and I just like ham more.”

Cranberry sauce and stuffing are two of the most important sides of the whole meal– they’re Thanksgiving staples! Whether you cook them yourself or hastily grab a container of premade chicken stuffing and jellied cranberries at Ralph’s, you can’t deny that they’re iconic.

Sophomore Ethan Truong explained that his favorite dishes from Thanksgiving are the potatoes. Mashed, scalloped, baked, or fried– they’re all delicious! “I think my favorite type is mashed” potatoes, he said. “It’s the most classic type of potato and it tastes pretty good!” Mashed potatoes are a pretty classic side dish, so it’s no surprise that Ethan is a fan.

However, some families eat less traditional Thanksgiving meals. Freshman Kyrene Tam said that her family stuck to its Chinese roots and continued eating Asian food. “We don’t really switch to American cuisine during Thanksgiving,” she explained. “My family still eats food like fried rice, noodles, and Asian soups, but just in larger quantities.” When asked about the turkey, Kyrene said, “We actually just buy a huge, whole Peking duck from the Asian market and sort of treat it like the turkey/ham. Our whole family doesn’t really enjoy turkey, so we opt for a more familiar bird instead.” Kyrene did say though, that “the one semi-traditional thing we eat is pie. We always get a pumpkin or apple pie for dessert!”

Whether you love the classic dishes, despise them, or switch up the meal entirely, Thanksgiving is a great time for celebration and fun. It’s more than just a time for delicious food though! Express your gratefulness for the blessings you have and spend time with the people you love, not to mention the amazing week off from school!  

Graphic courtesy of VECTEEZY.COM